September Book Haul
I just ordered some books for uni this month so I’m not really excited about them but I ordered 7 in total and they are:
- The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer
- Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
- Ladybird Tales: Little Red Riding Hood by Vera Southgate (a children’s version for my dissertation which will be a nice easy read)
- Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
- The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter (I’ve read this before and it’s great but am using it for my dissertation so needed to buy a copy in order to read it again as I borrowed it from a library last time)
- The Ego and the Id by Sigmund Freud
- Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut
September Reading Wrap Up
I started off with the AYearAThon for which I read:
- A small poetry book from my university’s writing society
- Samplers for Ink by Alice Broadway, Girl Hearts Girl by Lucy Sutcliffe, This Raging Light by Estelle Laure, Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven, All Fall Down by Ally Carter, Unconventional by Maggie Harcourt, and Broken Sky by L.A. Weatherly.
- Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell
- Beyond the Pleasure Principle by Sigmund Freud
- We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
My post for the AYearAThon is here. And I have a separate post on We We Liars here.
I then read The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater which I loved and have a post on here.
Next, I finished Calm by Michael Acton Smith, which was lent to me by a friend and was pretty nice. I liked the whole theme and the pacing with all of the pictures and different sections on different aspects of life (e.g. food, sleep, and work), but wasn’t into the idea of all the activities. Overall it was helpful and nice to read so I’d recommend it to practically anyone, especially if stressed out or going through a bad time.
I then went back to George Orwell’s 1984 which I had read a few chapters of months before then put down. I’ve still not finished it and it also meant that I didn’t take part in the Duodecathon this month but I’ll hopefully do that readathon again next month anyway.
First off I’ll finish 1984, then the AYearAThon is at the start of the month with the theme of mental health so I thought I could read a book I have about anxiety, the Freud book that I got this month (as psychology is kind of menatl health related? Close enough!), and then if I have time for another one just another psychology book for uni probably.
I’d then like to do some more dissertation reading so Ladybird Tales: Little Red Riding Hood, Scarlet by Marissa Meyer, and The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories. Then classes start for me this month so I need to read Blood Meridian and The Naked and the Dead along with probably about 4 other books although I haven’t been told what these are yet.
After the AYearAThon I also want to take part in Dewey’s 24 Hour Readathon and the October Duodecathon so hopefully those will help me get through these books!
Here are the links to the different readathons: AYearAThon, Dewey’s 24 Hour Readathon, and Duodecathon.
How was your September reading? What are you planning on reading in October? and are you going to take part in any of the October readathons that I mentioned? Comment below and subscribe if you want to see more – My next post will probably be a wrap up post for the AYearAThon 🙂